Egypt Mosque Attack: Death toll mounts to 235

Shubhanshu Sharma

Shubhanshu SharmaBy Shubhanshu Sharma

Published on 24 Nov 2017 4:03 PM GMT

Egypt mosque attack toll rises 305, attackers carry IS flag
X
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo

Cairo: At least 235 people were killed in a bomb attack on a mosque in Egypt's Sinai peninsula on Friday, Egyptian state media reported.

The assailants planted home-made explosives in the al-Rawdah mosque in the northern city of Arish and detonated them as worshipers were leaving after prayers. They also shot at anyone who tried to escape, a security source said.

More than 100 people were wounded in the attack, reports said. Pictures from the scene showed rows of bloodied victims inside the mosque.

Also Read: Emmerson Mnangagwa takes over as Zimbabwe President

One report said the target appeared to be supporters of the security forces who were praying at the mosque. Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi has called for a meeting of the security committee.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.

-IANS

Shubhanshu Sharma

Shubhanshu Sharma

Writer has 6 years of experience in digital media. Presently working as Senior Sub Editor at newstrack.com. An avid reader and always willing to learn new things and techniques.

Next Story