Big Ben clock to be quite,once again, for several months
The tick-tick of 'Big Ben', will not be heard for third time in 157 years . The clock will be stopped for several months in order to carry out essential maintenance. During this period there will be no chiming or striking. Striking and tolling will be maintained for important events.
- Big Ben is located in Elizabeth tower at Parliament house.
- The Big Ben was silent for nine months for its renovation in 1976 and, later, for six weeks in 2007..
- Surveys has found crack in the masonry, leaks and erosion and severe rust problems in the metal piece of the clock.
- Pendulum and the hand of the clock is also slated for repairring.
- 'Big Ben' is the London's most famous icons, and its " bongs" are broadcast live on BBC radio.
- According to the clock makers, 'The Big Ben' will be seen chiming in high profile events throughout the repair period, including at midnight of New Year's Eve.