Timeline of major train accidents in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: At least 100 people died and more than 150 injured on Sunday when 14 coaches of Patna-bound 19321 Indore-Patna Express derailed near Pukhrayan railway station about 100 kms from Kanpur in under North Central Railway (NCR) in Uttar Pradesh.
It is not the first time that such an incident has taken place as there are several train accidents which happened in the past in Uttar Pradesh.
Timeline of major train accidents in Uttar Pradesh:
· June 21, 1969: As many as 70 people died while 130 others injured in Mohammadabad near Magari river.
· January 27, 1982: About 50 people lost their lives and same sustained injuries in a collision between freight train and a passenger train.
· June 13, 1985: At least 38 died in Agra train accident.
· April 16, 1989: Karnataka Express derailed from tracks in Lalitpur in which 75 died.
· January 29, 1993: After the demolition of Babri Masjid, four coaches were torched. No causality had taken place.
· August 20, 1995: A passenger train stopped after hitting a cow but was collided with another train following which more than 10 people sustained injuries.
· April 18, 1996: A collision between Gorakhpur Gonda passenger and a freight train took place in which 60 people died.
· May 25, 1996: A train collided with a tractor in Varanasi in which 25 were killed.
April 18, 1997: At least 60 people lost their lives in train accident in Gorakhpur
· July 16, 1999: Delhi-bound grand trunk express collided with a freight train in Vrindavan of Mathura. About 17 were killed while 200 people sustained injuries.
· May 13, 2002: In Jaunpur, several boggies derailed as tracks were cutt off.
· June 4, 2002: A bus having passengers collided with a train near Kasganj in which several died.
· August 7, 2007: Jodhpur Hawra Express derailed from Juhi bridge in Kanpur. About 32 passengers were injured.
· October 20, 2009: In Mathur, two passenger trains collided each other.
· June 2, 2010: Magadh Licchivi Express derailed from tracks in Etawah.
· June 2, 2010: Saryu Express collided with a tracter in Pratapgarh in which two were injured.
· January 2, 2010: Gorakhdham Pryagraaj passenger was crashed in Panki of Kanpur.
· January 16, 2010: Kaindi Shram Shakti Express derailed from tracks in Agra’s Tundla. Several got injured in the mishap.
· July 7, 2011: Chapra Mathura Express collided with a bus in Kasganj in which 69 bus passengers lost their lives.