HC directs govt to dissolve Waqf Tribunals in Rampur, Lucknow
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Tuesday asked the state government to immediately rescind notification by which three members Waqf Tribunal has been constituted to hear the Waqf disputes in Rampur and Lucknow districts of UP.
Advocate General VB Singh, who was present in the Court assured the bench that it will be done immediately.
- The Bench comprising of chief justice Dr DY Chandrachud and Justice Yashwant Varma issued this direction, when it was brought to the courts notice through a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) that Constitution of three members Waqf Tribunal is illegal, as the provision of three members of Waqf Tribunal had been repealed in the year 2015.
- Therefore, the Constitution of Waqf Tribunal in Rampur and Lucknow districts could not have been done by the state government.
- This order was passed on a PIL filed by Mohd Junaid Ajaj.
- The Bench has asked the chief secretary and also the secretary minority welfare to explain within 15 days as to how the notification of the Constitution of three members Waqf Tribuna was issued though the provision for the Constitution of three members Waqf Tribunal had already been repealed by the Central Government.
- The petitioner had alleged that the state government did not bring the real fact in the knowledge of the court and therefore the Constitution of Waqf Tribunal was passed. The Court will hear this case on March 11, 2016