UP police arrest long time absconder 'Vijay Mental'
Agra: A criminal who was on the run for 33 years was arrested from Rajasthan's Ajmer, the in-charge of new Agra police station confirmed on Saturday.
He also said they got some clues in the case through movement of Vijay's in-laws. After working on these tip-offs, they reached Ajmer from where Vijay Mental was arrested and presented before Agra court on Thurday and sent to jail.
- Vijay Nandan Srivastava was sent to jail for a murder over a land dispute in 1981,escaped after being granted bail in the case.
- Srivastava, a resident of Balkeshwar locality in Agra was called 'Vijay Mental' or 'Don' because of his modus operandi.
- Srivastava was mostly involved in crimes related to property disputes.
What Vijay Mental did?
- He stabbed one Ashok Pandit to death over a property dispute.
- Srivastava then surrendered before the police confessed to his crime. He was awarded life imprisonment by a local court in Agra and sent to Fatehgarh central jail.
- His wife and father-in-law filed an appeal against his sentence in the high court and his offence was converted to culpable homicide.
- Vijay Mental escaped after getting bail and lived in Mainpuri in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar’s Patna and other cities in Rajasthan and even got his daughter married while on the run.