Longest rail tunnel of world to open in Switzerland under Alps
Bern: Having cost 12 billion Swiss franc to complete, 57kms in length and situated 2.3kms deep under the Alps mountain range, the Gotthard base tunnel of Switzerland is the most expensive and longest tunnelling project of the world.
On June 1, the central European country will be celebrating this masterpiece of engineering, inaugurating the world’s longest rail tunnel.
The Gotthard, which was once called a ‘regal’ mountain range by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe – German poet, is where the source of the rivers Rhone, Ticino and Rhine are situated. Moreover, it is the most important link between the North Sea and the Mediterranean.
- When completely established, the tunnel will overtake Japan’s 53.9kms long Seikan Tunnel as the world’s largest train tunnel.
- It is believed that only a federal government can spend such big amounts of money, having the population’s support.
- Once fully functional, the tunnel will take only 45 minutes to cover the distance between Zurich and Lugano, which is almost 153kms.
- India reports 12,751 new Covid cases and 42 deaths in last 24 hours
- Maha cabinet expansion: 18 MLAs take oath as ministers
- No differences on portfolio allocation, says RJD as Nitish set to exit BJP alliance
- JioGames launches streaming platform "JioGamesWatch"
- NEET PG 2022: Counselling expected to begin from September 1, Supreme court refuses stay- Details here
- 'Deal Finalized' between Nitish Kumar-Tejashwi Yadav; BJP warns Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Monsoon Update: IMD predicts heavy showers in THESE states for next 4 days; check list
- UP politician Shrikant Tyagi, accused of abusing women, arrested in Meerut
- Melatonin For Children: Do you give THIS jelly to your baby?
- Sita Ramam: Did you know Pooja Hegde was the 1st choice as Sita not Mrunal Thakur in Dulquer Salmaan starrer?