UPPGMEE dispute: Jr doctors close down OPD, six patients die
Lucknow: As many as six patients died in Trauma Centre of King George’s Medical University (KGMU) in the state capital after junior doctors, who were protesting against Uttar Pradesh government’s decision, locked the centre and closed down its outpatient department (OPD) forcibly on Monday.
Students were protesting against the government's decision to cancel their admissions and to hold fresh ones on the basis of Uttar Pradesh Post Graduate Medical Entrance Exam’s (UPPGMEE’s) revised merit list. The new list was drawn following the Supreme Court's interim order of 30 per cent additional marks weightage to Provincial Medical Health Services (PMHS) candidates.
Protesting students compelled the government to wait for final hearing of their review petition whereas, PMHS candidates blamed the government for not providing them adequate security for a smooth conduct of counselling. Moreover, the Provincial Medical Services Association (PMSA) had written to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, seeking for a change in counselling venue or the option of video conferencing for fresh admissions.
- Few junior doctors were injured in clashes between them and the police.
- Protesting students occupied the stairs at entrance to the counselling venue while PMHS candidates took the space on the opposite side.
- Later, the counselling venue was changed to the National PG College in Hazratganj locality on the behest of Principal Secretary of Health Education.
- India reports 12,751 new Covid cases and 42 deaths in last 24 hours
- Maha cabinet expansion: 18 MLAs take oath as ministers
- No differences on portfolio allocation, says RJD as Nitish set to exit BJP alliance
- JioGames launches streaming platform "JioGamesWatch"
- NEET PG 2022: Counselling expected to begin from September 1, Supreme court refuses stay- Details here
- 'Deal Finalized' between Nitish Kumar-Tejashwi Yadav; BJP warns Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Monsoon Update: IMD predicts heavy showers in THESE states for next 4 days; check list
- UP politician Shrikant Tyagi, accused of abusing women, arrested in Meerut
- Melatonin For Children: Do you give THIS jelly to your baby?
- Sita Ramam: Did you know Pooja Hegde was the 1st choice as Sita not Mrunal Thakur in Dulquer Salmaan starrer?