Email inventor Ray Tomlinson passes away at 74
New York: Modern email inventor and selector of ‘@’ symbol Ray Tomlinson passed away on Saturday morning following a cardiac arrest. He was 74.
“Ray was a true technology Pioneer, who had brought us an innovative technology like email in the early days of computer world”, said Raytheon spokesman Mike Doble.
”Thank you Ray Tomlinson for inventing email and putting the ‘@’ sign on the map”, read a tweet by Gmail’s official Twitter account.
About Ray Tomlinson:
- He was born on April 23, 1941 in United States of America (USA).
- He was the first Programmer to invent e-mail and enforced it on Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET).
- Tomlinson worked in the Raytheon Company’s office in Cambridge.
- He was the one to change the way of the world communication.
Awards and Recognition:
- 2000: Tomlinson was honoured with George R. Stibitz Computer Pioneer Award from American Computer Museum.
- 2001: He was awarded with Webby Awards, as a lifetime achievement from the International Academy of Digital Arts and Science.
- 2001: He was introduced into the Rensselaer Alumni Hall of Fame.
- 2002: He received Innovation award of Discover Magazine.
- 2004: Along with Dave Crocker, he was honoured with Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Internet Awards.
- 2009: Tomlinson was awarded with Prince of Asturias Award for scientific and technical research.
- 2011: He was ranked number four in the list of top 150 innovators.
- 2012: Tomlinson was introduced into Hall of fame by the Internet Society.
- While many general email protocols were later introduced and adopted, Tomlinson's precious contributions were never forgotten.
- India reports 12,751 new Covid cases and 42 deaths in last 24 hours
- Maha cabinet expansion: 18 MLAs take oath as ministers
- No differences on portfolio allocation, says RJD as Nitish set to exit BJP alliance
- JioGames launches streaming platform "JioGamesWatch"
- NEET PG 2022: Counselling expected to begin from September 1, Supreme court refuses stay- Details here
- 'Deal Finalized' between Nitish Kumar-Tejashwi Yadav; BJP warns Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Monsoon Update: IMD predicts heavy showers in THESE states for next 4 days; check list
- UP politician Shrikant Tyagi, accused of abusing women, arrested in Meerut
- Melatonin For Children: Do you give THIS jelly to your baby?
- Sita Ramam: Did you know Pooja Hegde was the 1st choice as Sita not Mrunal Thakur in Dulquer Salmaan starrer?