Why Samajwadi Party held its National Executive in Agra? Read
Agra: The Taj city has always garnered a bit more for the Samajwadi Party and apparently for the same reason, Agra was the venue for party's 10th National Executive.
A largely youthful crowd of over 25,000 delegates attending the party's National Executive elected the 44-year-old Akhilesh Yadav for another term.
After suffering a thumping defeat in the 2017 Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections, Samajwadi Party is hoping a rejuvenation through the National Executive held in its luckiest city Agra.
Nothing has gone SP or Mulayam Singh Yadav's way ever since former Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh's younger brother Shivpal Yadav parted ways. There have been several bitter fights between the uncle-nephew duo, which was eventually won by Akhilesh.
In SP's last National Convention held before the UP Vidhan Sabha polls, Akhilesh Yadav was elected party's National President for three years and his father and party founder Mulayam Singh Yadav was named party patriarch. Shilvap Yadav was understandably sidelined from the party leadership by stripping him of his post of party's UP Chief.
Well, this 10th National Executive of SP has instilled a lot of hope among the distressed party workers as Agra has always been a lucky place for them. Mentioned below are the reasons why Agra holds so much significance for SP's political fortunes:
- Samajwadi Party rose to power in the state in 1993 after a national working committee meet in Agra.
- Following a National Convention in the Taj city, SP again took power in the state in 2003.
- After a National Executive in 2009, SP performed well in the Lok Sabha elections that year.
- Again after a National Convention in Agra, SP came to power in UP and Akhilesh Yadav became the Chief Minister for the very first time in 2012.
- In today's National Executive, Akhilesh Yadav has been named the party president for the next five years with his father Mulayam Singh Yadav's blessings.
- During his tenure as the Chief Minister, Akhilesh visited Agra the most number of times.
Well, the National Executive has already brought the good news for the SP followers as the 15-month-long tension in the Yadav clan is finally looking to be over as Mulayam Singh Yadav joined the dais with his son and his uncle Shivpal also congratulated him for his election as the party national president.
A clearer picture of Samajwadi Party will only come to the fore with time.