Now watch Doordarshan on phones, without internet!!!
New Delhi: Public Broadcaster Doordarshan has decided to start free TV services to mobile phones in 16 cities, including the four metros.
“Digital Terrestrial Television services of Doordarshan have started operation from February 25 in 16 cities, thereby providing mobile TV to the users,” the broadcaster said in a recent statement.
Doordarshan is the first among the television channels to take this step.
The information was displayed on the twitter handle of Press Information Bureau of the Government of India.
— PIB India (@PIB_India) June 6, 2016
What officials said:
- Jawahar Sircar, Chief Executive Officer at Prasar Bharti said in a statement that When the world was moving from terrestrial to satellite,Doordarshan was only moving backward. Now the only way to leapfrog is to use the existing infrastructure along with new technologies.
- Sircar also stated, “There will be no charges for watching the DD channels. Also, no internet is required after installation of the software.”
- As per the plan, viewers will be able to get about 20 TV channels and 20 radio channels, in one single broadcast service.
- The service will be aired free for life.
- No dish, no internet and no set-top box will be required for the installation or the usage.
- These broadcasts would be available over a large geographical area covered by the transmitters.
- It is even larger than the coverage of current terrestrial transmissions of DD, said the Prasar Bharti CEO.
The sixteen cities are: