Miscreants break idol in UP temple, disturb communal harmony
Saharanpur (Deoband): Communal tension has gripped Deoband in Saharanpur district of Uttar Pradesh after some antisocial elements on Wednesday barged into an ancient temple situated at Shastri Chowk in the city and ended up breaking an idol installed inside it.
One of the miscreants was nabbed and thrashed by the surrounding people when he was trying to run away while the other one succeeded to flee.
- Local people were driven up the walls after the incident took place.
- Large score of people, including political figures, reached the temple and demonstrated heavily.
- The local shops were forced to be shut down.
- Provincial Armed Forces (PAC) and the police force headed by Circle Officer Yogendra Pal Singh were deployed at the scene.
- Local Bhartiya Janata Party leaders along with others had jammed all roads near the temple and demanded stern action against the offenders.