Happy Labour's Day: the end of labour is to gain leisure
Lucknow: Labour Day or May Day is considered as a public holiday in many countries worldwide. Date for labour day varies in many countries. The holiday may also be known as International Worker's Day. 1st May is used to celebrate May Day because American Federation of Organised Trades and Labour Unions demanded an eight-hour workday in 1884, to come in effect as of May 1,1886. This resulted General strike and the Haymarket Riot of 1886,and eventually also in the official sanction of the eight-hour workday.
- Europe celebrates May 1 as the last day of Winter and the beginning of summer.
- England includes Morris dancing, crowning May Queen, and dancing around a Maypole,which made it popular seasonal celebration in medieval England.
- Germany celebrates labour day as an official holiday since 1933 after The National Socialist German Worker's Party (NSDAP) rose to power. It was supposed to symbolise the unity between the state and the working class.
- India celebrated the first formal Labour Day by the Labour Kisan Party of Hindustan in Chennai on May 1, 1923.
- Italy celebrates this day as the Annual Concerto del Primo Maggio which takes place in Rome. More than half million people takes part in this celebration.
- Sweden celebrates 'the Mass of Saint Walburga or Walpurgis Night' as a May Day on the evening of April 30.