Selection in Indian team not in my control, says Gautam Gambhir
New Delhi: Days after he was ignored by the selection committee, cricketer Gautam Gambhir said that his only job is to put runs on the board without thinking of the past. He was ignored for the New Zealand series beginning September 22.
The unsung hero of 2011 World Cup has scored 356 runs playing some awe-inspiring knocks in the recently concluded Duleep trophy.
“I don't play for selection honestly. Ultimately my job is to score runs and that is what I focus on,” said Gauti on Thursday.
It could be mentioned here that Gautam Gambhir had expressed his disappointment on Twitter after being unnoticed by the selection committee.
Gambhir was here at a launch of a talent hunt program, Indian Junior Players League (IJPL).
What Gambhir said regarding Indian Cricket selectors ignorance towards him?
- You should just go out there and look to control things which you can control, rest is selector’s job.
- Whatever the selectors decide it is their opinion.
- My job is to go out there and help my team in winning
Commenting on India-New Zealand Test encounters, the left-handed batsman said that spinners would play a major role in the series.
What else Gambhir said?
- New Zealand has always been a very gritty kind of a side.
- They have always been underdogs, no one rates them very highly but they have always done well in every condition.
- They have got a good squad. They have got three spinners (in Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi and Mark Craig) and spinners of whichever sides bowl well it will eventually decide the series.
Virat Kohli lead Indian team will take on Black Caps in the first Test match of the three-match series at the Green Park in Kanpur.
Also read: Indian cricket team against Kiwis announced: no major surprises