Rio Olympics 2016: India observes 'day of disappointment'
Rio De Janeiro: India tasted defeat in majority of events on day one of the Rio Olympics 2016 on Saturday. While the men’s Hockey team and Rowing have kept the hopes for medals alive, the pairs of Paes-Bopanna and Sania-Prarthana in the respective Tennis events disappointed the nation.
Below are the major defeats of the day for India:
Leander Paes - Rohan Bopanna (Men’s Doubles - Tennis)
- Poland’s Lukasz Kubot and Marcin Matkowski gave tough time to India’s Tennis doubles pair Leander Paes and Rohan Bopanna who surrendered the first set in 32 minutes and the second in 52 minutes.
Sania Mirza - Prarthana Thombare (Women's Doubles - Tennis)
- Sania Mirza and Prarthana Thombare lose to Chinese pair of Shuai Peng and Shuai Zhang in first round at the Rio Olympics 2016. It was nail-biting game but India eventually faced defeat 6(6)-7, 7-5, 5-7.
- India’s Soumyajit Ghosh, Save Mouma Das, Sharath Kamal and Manika Batra lost their respective games in the first round of the men’s singles table tennis at the Rio Olympics event.
- India’s only Gold medal hope on Day 1 comes to an end as Shooter Jitu Rai finishes off at eighth position in the men’s 10 metre Air Pistol event during the ongoing Rio Olympics 2016 on Saturday.
- Women team also bring disappointment for India as Apurvi Chandela and Ayonika Paul crashed out after losing in the quarter-finals of the 10 metre air rifle event.
- Saikhom Mirabai Chanu upsets India in the weightlifting event as she was unable to succeed in the women's 48kg category at the Riocentro Pavilion 2 arena.