Happy Birthday Sachin: Master Blaster turns 43
MUMBAI: Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar, the only player to score one hundred international centuries has turned 43 today. Born in the middle class family in Mumbai, he started playing cricket at the tender age of 16 and made his international test début against Pakistan. Sachin also known as Master Blaster is an institution in himself. Popularly called "God of Cricket" by his fans, Little Master has ruled the game for over two decades.His awesome performances smashed several long standing records and created unbelievable new ones.
On this remarkable occasion, newztrack.com brings you some unknown facts about this genius.
- He was born as the youngest of four siblings and was named after his father's favourite music director, Sachin Dev Burman.
- His elder brother encouraged him to play cricket and got him enrolled in the academy of the coach Ramakant Achrekar in order to divert his attention as he was very aggressive as a teenager.
- Sachin with his friend Vinod Kambli was involved in a record 664-run partnership in an inter school match against St. Xavier's High school in 1988.
- Little Mater is a right handed batsman but writes with his left.
- He had a habit of sleepwalking as well as talking in his sleep.
- In 1988, Little Master played for Mumbai and scored a century on his very first match. Till the end of the season he was the highest run scorer.
- Because of his mind-blowing performances he got selected into the national team just after one season.
- In 1988, Australia was on a tour of India and the series was hyped as Sachin versus Warne contest. Sachin made two centuries in the three-test series and blasted Warne in the series.
- Indian Captaincy had proven unlucky for him because under his captain-ship the Indian team performed poorly in 1996 and after that in the year 1997 he gave up his captaincy.
- Again in 1999, he was made the captain but was unsuccessful.
- Passing his difficult phase, he regained his form in 2007, completing 11,000 test runs and become the leading run scorer from India.
- During world cup 2011, Little Master made 482 runs including two centuries. India faced Sri Lanka in the world cup and won the match.
- It was the first World Cup victory for him.
- Master Blaster endorsed several famous brands. The first brand he endorsed was 'Boost'.
- Sachin holds the records for scoring the highest numbers of runs and centuries in both Test Crickets and One Day International. He scored 15921 runs and 51 centuries in Tests. While in ODIs, he has scored 18426 runs and 49 centuries.
- Little Master was the first person to score double centuries in the ODis.
- He is the only player ho has played 200 Test matches.
- Sachin bagged many awards from the Government of India.He was awarded the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 1997-98.
- He was the first sportsperson and the youngest ever individual who was honoured with the Bharat Ratna.
- In 1990, master blaster met Anjali, a doctor, dated for five years and then tied knot in 1995.
- The couple has two children named Arjun Tendulkar and Sara Tendulkar.
- He is also involved in an NGO, Apnalaya and sponsors 200 under-privileged children every year.