Go back to basics when in trouble: Sunil Gavaskar
Lucknow: 'Go back to basics when in trouble’, the masterly advice of legendary cricketer Sunil Gavaskar has even helped great batsmen like Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid to erase minor shortcomings in their techniques in the net.
His guru mantra was not followed by just by the Indian players but also cricketers abroad have also followed his advice, such was his genius and technical finesse that he is regarded as one of all time greats.
Sunil Manohar Gavaskar, one of the text books of cricket, enthralled the crowd not only with his straight drive but square cuts also. Known as one of the best exponent of late cut which many say has not been seen after his retirement.
Gavaskar never wore helmet while playing his passion on the crease even when he was facing speed machines like Malcolm Marshall, Michael Holding and Andy Roberts. The master blaster never weaved or ducked even when the ball was aimed at his forehead.
Sunil Gavaskar has written three books SUNNY DAYS, IDOLS and ONE DAY WONDERS.
A glimpse at his achievements:
- The first cricketer to score 10,000 runs in Test cricket.
- Highest no. of centuries - 34
- The only cricketer to hit a century in each innings of a Test thrice.
- Only cricketer to score 1000 runs or more in a calendar year on 4 occasions.
- Only cricketer to score 5000 runs or more abroad.
- The first cricketer to make fastest 1000 runs - in 78 days and 6 Tests.
- The only cricketer to top score in both the completed innings of a Test on five occasions.
- The only cricketer to top score in 58 completed innings.
- The only cricketer to have the highest match aggregate on 36 occasions.
- Highest runs (774) by a debutant.
- Highest runs by any player in a series (774) against West Indies.
- Maximum number of runs & centuries scored by a player against West Indies - 2749 runs & 13 centuries.
- Only cricketer to score 4 consecutive centuries at 2 venues - Port of Spain & Wankhede.
- The only cricketer to hit hundreds in 3 consecutive innings twice.
- Only cricketer with 58 century partnership with 18 different players.
The swapped kid:
Gavaskar was mistakenly swapped by a nurse after his birth. But his uncle recognised him as he a hole on his ear.
Newztrack.com wishes him a very Happy birthday.