Ashwin thanks Kumble, Kohli for promoting him in batting order
Antigua: Expressing gratitude for Indian Cricket team coach Anil Kumble and Test skipper Virat Kohli, all-rounder R. Ashwin on Saturday thanked the duo for promoting him up the order, which was his dream since he started playing for India. He merited Kohli-Kumble duo for him scoring a ton.
Post building momentous partnership with Kohli, Ashwin had scored an awe-inspiring ton on Day 2 of the first Test encounter against the West Indies.
Previously, before the start of the tournament, Kumble wanted Ashwin to play a major batsman for the team alongside a star spinner and the Chennai lad showed versatility by scoring third century (113) in his career.
- I always wanted to bat in the top seven for the Indian team, which is a long-time goal that I have to try to strive to get better at.
- I need to thank Kumble and Virat for having the confidence in me to be pushed at number six.
- There have been times in the past when I have played really well and have not really got the promotion.
- Kohli called me in the morning and said 'you'll be batting at six, ahead of Saha', which is a big boost to my batting confidence.
- I had worked on it over the past one month in Chennai with my coach and I'm very happy with the way it's come out.
By the end of Day 2, India collected 566 runs for 8 before the visitors declared with Amit Mishra also contributing with his half-century (53). West Indies has scored 31 runs with a loss of single wicket in their 1st innings.
Virat Kohli hits maiden double ton; India is 404/4 till lunch