SIT to probe BJP MLA of rape charge, death of victim's father
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh Police on Tuesday set up a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to look into a girl's accusations of gang rape against a BJP legislator and the subsequent death of her father in police custody.
Confirming this, Additional Director General (ADG) Law and Order Anand Kumar said that the SIT, which will be headed by the SP (Crime) of Lucknow, will look "into the entire gamut of allegations... from the beginning of the issue in June last year (which is when the 18-year-old first complained of rape by Unnao MLA Kuldeep Singh Senger)".
Informed sources said that hugely embarrassed by the developments, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has rolled out a damage control action plan which included ordering the SIT probe, arrest of the BJP legislator's brother and a parallel magisterial inquiry.
The police has suspended six officers, including station house officer of Makhi and five constables, and arrested Senger's brother Atul Singh and four of his aides -- Baua, Vineet, Shailu and Sonu.
Atul Singh was arrested on Tuesday over charges of beating Pappu Singh, the girl's father, to death in police custody, an official said.
The arrest was made in Kanpur based on the orders of the Director General of Police (DGP) O.P. Singh, the official added.
Pappu Singh was being forced to withdraw the case against the MLA. Upon his refusal, he was picked up by the police late on Sunday and was allegedly roughed up by Atul Singh and his aides while in custody.
He was taken to the district hospital with 18 wounds and gashes, abdominal pain and vomiting. He died soon after.
The incident triggered a political storm and public outrage in the state, forcing the police to suspend the six officials. A magisterial probe has also been ordered by the district administration.
Adityanath has also asked Additional Director General of Police (Lucknow) Rajeev Krishna to investigate the matter and has promised stern action against all perpetrators. He said no one, however mighty, will be spared.
With IANS inputs
- Raghav Chadha's reply to 'when is yours' as Bhagwant Mann gets married goes viral
- 18,930 new COVID-19 cases, 35 deaths reported in India in last 24 hours
- We have achieved all our 100-day targets, says UP CM
- IND vs ENG, 5th Test: Ravi Shastri slams India's batting in second innings says, 'Could have batted England out'
- The Story Behind the Apple Logo
- Tina Dabi appointed new Jaisalmer collector
- Active Covid cases in country climb to 1.14 lakh
- IMD issues orange alert for Mumbai till July 9
- Caught on camera: Vastu 'guru' stabbed to death
- SpiceJet Delhi-Dubai flight develops snag, lands in Karachi