Change in lifestyle may reduce the deadliest pain of Migrane
Lucnkow: People often suffer with headaches which are unbearable. One should not take such pain casually as it may be migraine.
WHAT IS MIGRAINE?
Migraine is a medical condition in which people get severe headache. Migraine headache is an intense pain on one or both side of the head. Migraine patient suffers from severe headache and also feel pain behind one eye or ear. Migraine also can cause nausea and vomiting and sensitivity to light and sound. Temporary loss of vision also happens sometimes.
Migraine can occur any time in a day, though it often starts in the morning. Some times pain last for few hours or it can continue till one or two days. It can occur once in a week or sometimes once or twice in a year. Migraine don't threat to your overall health but it can interfere your day to day life.
- Most often migraine affects people between age of 15 to 55.
- Most people suffering from migraine have a family history .
- Migraine are more common in women.
- Migraine often become less severe and less frequent with age.
WHAT CAUSES MIGRAINE?
Researchers think that migraine occur due to abnormal changes in level of substances that are naturally produced in brain. When the level of these substances increases they cause inflammation. This inflammation then cause blood vessels in the brain to swell and press on nearby nerves, causing pain. Many women with Migraine tend to have attacks triggered by:-
- Lack of too much of sleep.
- Skipped meals.
- Bright lights, loud noises, or strong odors.
- Hormone changes during the menstrual cycle.
- Stress and anxiety, or relaxation after stress.
- Weather changes.
- Alcohol (often red wine).
- Caffeine (too much or withdrawal).
- Foods that contain nitrates, such as hot dogs and lunch meats.
- Foods that contain MSG (monosodium glutamate), a flavor enhancer found in fast foods, broths, seasonings, and spices
- Foods that contain tyramine, such as aged cheeses, soy products, fava beans, hard sausages, smoked fish, and Chianti wine
The points you must remember while migraine pain are as follows:-
- Keep headache diary. Each day when you have migraine headache, note it down in your diary.
- Also write the time when pain starts.
- where you were and what you were doing when migraine started.
- what you ate or drank 24 hours before the attack.
ARE THERE DIFFERENT KINDS OF MIGRAINE?
Yes, there are many forms of migraine. The two forms of migraine most oftenly seen are migraine with aura and migraine without aura .
Migraine with aura (also known as classical migraine) :- In a migraine with aura a person might have these sensory symptoms:-
- seeing flashing lights, zigzag lines or blind spots.
-numbness or tingling in the face or hands.
-disturbed sense of smell,taste,or touch.
- feeling mentally fuzzy.
Migraine without Aura(also known as common migraine):-
-In these form of migraine a person doesn't have an aura but has all the other features of an attack.
HOW CAN ONE IDENTIFY IS IT A MIGRAINE OR A SINUS HEADACHE?
Many people confuse migraine headache with a sinus headache because pain and pressure in the sinus occur with migraine. To find out if your headache is sinus or migraine, ask these questions to yourself:-
- Do i have moderate to severe headache?
-Do i have nausea?
-Do i have sensitivity to light?
If your answer is yes for two or three of these question, then most likely you have migraine with sinus symptoms. A true sinus headache is very rare and usually occurs due to sinus infections. In a sinus headache you would also likely to have :
-thick nasal secretion that are yellow,green,or blood tinged.
- A sinus infection may go away with treatment of sinus infection,.
WHEN SHOULD I SEEK HELP FOR MY HEADACHES?
Sometimes headache can be a serious problem. You must talk to your doctor about headache if:-
- If you have severe headache and each last for several hours.
- You have nausea, vomiting, vision or other sensory problems.
- if headache disrupt your home, work, or school life.
- If you have pain around your eye or ear.
- If you have severe headache with a stiff neck.
- if you have a headache with confusion or lot of alertness.
CAN STRESS CAUSE MIGRAINES?
Stress can trigger both migraine and tension type headache. Stress can be caused by many events such as getting married, moving to a new home , or having a baby. Being a mother, wife, having a career, and financial pressure can also be a cause of daily stress to a women.
Stress can be reduced by:-
-Eating healthy foods.
-Being active(atleast 30 minutes of daily exercise is the best)
-Taking proper sleep.
HOW ARE MIGRAINES TREATED?
Migraines has no cure but it can be cured through acute treatment.Many drugs such as aspirin, acetaminophen or NSAIDs( nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like ibuprofen relive mild migraine pain for some people.
CHANGING LIFESTYLE CAN REDUCE MIGRAINE ATTACKS:-
- Get up and go to bed at same time..
- Eat healthy food.
- Do not skip meals.
- Engage in regular physical activity.
- Limit the intake of alcohol and caffeine.
- Learn ways to reduce and cope with stress