WARNING: IRCTC website may have been hacked!!
Mumbai: Personal data of around 1 crore customers is feared to have been stolen from the server of the e-ticketing portal Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), as he website may have been hacked by some unknown sources, raising fears of safety and security.
- IRCTC is India's largest e-commerce website.
- The website has a user base of over 1 crore and about five lakh tickets are booked from it on the daily basis.
- Delhi police's cyber cell has been asked to probe the matter.
- A high-level meeting was held in Delhi on Tuesday night to discuss the issue and take measures to figure out how far the hackers have got into the system.
What officials said:
- The officials feared that a huge amount of customer data such as Pan Card numbers of the customers, might have been stolen and somebody can create forged documents on the basis of the stolen data.
- An IRCTC source said, "The data is a valuable asset and can be sold to corporations who may use it for targeting potential consumers."
- The IRCTC officials say that the Maharashtra government has been alerted.
- The state's additional home chief secretary, KP Bakshi, confirmed nthat the state police had alerted the railways, but refused to give any more details.
- The maintenance of the website is with Centre for Railway Information Systems, which is part of the railway ministry and develops and manages IT applications for the Indian Railways.
Also read about previous attempts to hack IRCTC server: CBI arrests the boy behind hacking IRCTC server from Basti
To read the news in Hindi, click: IRCTC की वेबसाइट से एक करोड़ का डाटा चोरी, जांच के आदेश