Sachin Tendulkar adopts village in drought-stricken Osmanabad
Mumbai: Legendary cricketer and Rajya Sabha Member of Parliament (MP) Sachin Tendulkar has picked Donja village in Maharashtra’s Osmanabad district for development under the Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojna (SAGY).
“We are glad that Sachin has adopted Donja. This will surely inspire the surrounding villages to imitate this model of development,” said Anand Rayate, the Chief Executive Officer of Osmanabad Zilla Parishad.
It may be mentioned that Osmanabad has been drought-stricken for the last few years and a steep rise in farmer suicide cases has also been recorded.
What is SAGY:
- SAGY is a rural development programme.
- It was launched in October 2014.
- It primarily aims at social and cultural development.
- It motivates people for social mobilization of rural communities.
The Donja village:
- The village comes under Paranda tehsil.
- According to 2011 census, 528 families reside in the village.
- The total population of the village is 2,863.
- The population includes 1,508 males and 1,355 females.
- In 2011, the literacy rate of the village was 64.84 per cent.