Priyanka Gandhi plays vital role in passage of crucial GST bill
New Delhi: The 122nd Constitution Amendment Bill for the Goods and Services Tax (GST) was up in the upper house on Wednesday and it got the final clearance with the majority voted in its favour. But the inside story behind the passage of the historic bill revolves around Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi, who never wanted her party to be considered as an obstruction behind the crucial bill.
It was she who convinced the party leaders and reached to a political consensus with BJP for passing the GST Bill in the Rajya Sabha where the ruling BJP does not have a majority.
What was Priyanka’s major concern?
• Priyanka never wanted to develop Congress’ image as an ‘obstruction’ behind the passage of GST Bill
• Sources say that she convinced party Vice President Rahul Gandhi
• She even discussed the issue with other Congress members including the Opposition leader in RS Ghulam Nabi Azad
BJP bowed on these points:
• Modi government made several amendments in the GST Bill
• These amendments were made on demand of Congress
• Congress demanded that an additional one per cent tax should not be charged while taking goods to other states. Government accepted it.
• Congress sought equal share of Centre and state government in the proposed tax. Government accepted it.