Srinagar: In a major success for Indian Army, a militant was gunned down in a 24-hour-long search operation launched by security forces comprising the Army, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Special Operation Group (SOG) of the J&K Police at a village in south Kashmir’s Kulgam district on Sunday.
“The encounter occurred after the suspected militants open fired at the soldiers”, police said.
- An Army Jawan was seriously injured while the terrorists fired a few rounds at him.
- The slain militant has been identified as Dawood Sheikh who was a resident of Kaimoh village in Kulgam district.
- He was a militant of terror outfit Hizbul Mujahideen.
- An AK-56 rifle was recovered from the terrorist.
- “Sheikh was active since last three years and was among the most wanted militants”, said Superintendent of Police (SP) Kulgam Mumtaz Ahmad.
- At around 1900 hrs, the security forces had launched a door-to-door search operation in pursuit of the terrorists.
- The militants were said to be holed-up in a house of the locality.
Keep yourself updated with latest news through Newstrack App. To download App from Google Playstore visit here - Newstrack App