It takes a loud noise to make the deaf hear: Bhagat Singh
Lucknow: Bhagat Singh, the 23-year-old legend, who gave up his life for India's independence, once said, it takes a loud noise to make the deaf hear.
On his 85th death anniversary and martyrs day, newztrack.com brings you some amazing facts that will definitely give you goosebumps.
- Singh ran away from his house to avoid getting married.
- He collected mud wet with blood of Jallianwala Bagh massacre and saluted it for years.
- He was a voracious reader and liked reading Bakunin Marx and Lenin Totsky.
- He used to carry a photograph of Kartar Singh Sarabha, his role model.
The Lahore assembly case:
- Bhagat was inspired by French anarchist Auguste Vaillant, who bombed the Paris assembly in December 1893.
- Singh also bombed the Lahore assembly in a similar manner in 1929.
- Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt hold the record of longest hunger strike.
- They were on a fast for 115 days and they broke the record set by an Irish revolutionary.
- During the course of this hunger strike , Bhagat Singh had to be carried to the court handcuffed on a stretcher.
- He lost 6.4 kgs of weight in the hunger strike.
Do listen this
Never an offender:
- Singh, once had a heated arguement with his father over appealing his trail.
- He believed in the fact that he never made a mistake and he never appealed.
- Freedom was his birthright and he was fighting tooth and nail for it.
Larger than life persona:
- Singh was a great actor in college and took part in several plays.
- His acting in 'Rana Pratap', 'Samrat Chandragupta' and 'Bharata-durdasha' earned him praise from his teachers and classmates.
- As a child, Singh often spoke of “growing guns in the fields” so that he could fight the British.
- During his stay in prison in 1930, Bhagat Singh coined the word “political prisoner”.
- He coined the phrase 'Inquilab Zindabad' that became the slogan of the India’s armed freedom struggle.
- Singh was hanged an hour ahead of the official time when the death sentence was to be commuted and was secretly cremated on the banks of the river Sutlej by jail authorities.
- He was very fond of oranges and rasgullas.
- He once spent his entire month's allotted money to watch a movie based on Uncle Tom's Cabin.
- He desperately wanted to go and study abroad- a dream that remained unfulfilled.