Gulberg Society case: Quantum of sentence to come tomorrow
Ahmedabad: As many as 24 convicts, who were involved in the 2002 Gulberg Society violence, could be sentenced on Friday. During Gujarat riots, a violent mob of around 1000 people attacked the society. In this attack, 69 people, including former Congress MP Ehsan Jafri, were killed.
Could be punished on Thursday:
- 24 people convicted in this case could be given punishment on Thursday.
- 11 people have been accused of killing.
- The ruling came two years later; on June 14, 36 people were acquitted.
- Out of 24 people, Judge PB Desai, convicted 11 of the murder, while 13 others, including the VHP leader Atul Vaidya indicted on charges relatively modest.
The whole matter:
- Gulberg society was attacked by a mob on February 28, 2002.
- There were 66 accused in this case, four of which have died.
- One accused Vipin Patel is the current counsellor of Bharatiya Janata Party.
- 39 dead bodies were found in the case, after 30 people were believed dead.
Mishap happened a day after Godhra attack:
- A day after the fire in the Sabarmati Express on February 28, 2002, 29 bungalows and 10 flats in the Gulberg Society were attacked.
- There were all Muslim families in the society excluding a single Parsi family.
- On June 8, 2006 Ehsan Jafri's wife Zakia Jafri complained against Narendra Modi, several ministers and police officers.
- Police had refused to file a complaint.