Divyang Kamini Srivastva, a saga of true grit and determination
"Apne Hathon ki Lakiro ko kya Dekhte ho,
Kismat to Unki bhi Hoti hai, Jinke Hath Ni Hote"
Lucknow: It will not be wrong if we use this Hindi couplet for Kamini Srivastava (53). We hear about people who made their fortunes with hands but we find very few people who made their fortunes without having hands. The passions of chasing her dreams never let made Kamini feel that she is a 'Divyang', a handicap. After facing a lot struggle in her life, she has realized her dreams. Kamini is a Rural Development Officer in Kakori area of District Lucknow. She is a great example for all those people, specially women who lose hope after facing trauma and failures.
A Journey Without Hands
- Kamini was only four year old when she lost both hands and fingers of her foot when she was hit by a train while crossing a railway track.
- Two years of regular treatment saved her life but the trauma of losing her hands shattered her.
- Kamini’s father strongly supported and encouraged her to overcome her disability and pursue her dreams.
- Her father trained her to hold pencil in her toes and write.
- Kamini earned her Masters Degree in Economics and as well as in Sociology.
- In 1982, after qualifying competitive exams she was appointed as a Child Welfare Officer .
- Kamini operates laptop through her toes.
Honoured by the Chief Minister and the President of India
- Kamini was honoured with ‘Ved Vedang Award’ and National Award for Best Employee by the then President Shankar Dayal Sharma in 1994.
- She was honored on International Women Day by the then chief minister Mulayam Singh Yadav in 1995.
- She was awarded ‘Best Disabled Officer’ in 1997 by the then Governor Romesh Bhandari.
Inspired by husband
- Kamini’s husband Swatantra says that he was very touched and impressed by an article by Kamini in a magazine. He himself sent her the marriage proposal.
- Kamini was encouraged by her husband to write a book.
- The book, 'KHILTE PHOOL MEHAKTA AANGAN' was released by the Governor Ram Naik.