Bombay High Court orders demolition of Adarsh building
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday ordered the demolition the ‘Adarsh Housing Society’ building located in south Mumbai in Maharashtra.
The High Court gave a 12- week time to the Maharashtra government to appeal in the Supreme Court and ordered an inquiry against politicians, ministers and officers who were involved in the Adarsh Housing Society scam.
The decision was welcomed by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
The Adarsh scam:
- The 31-storeyed residential building was located in Colaba.
- The Defence Ministry has been claiming ownership of the land where the Adarsh building stands.
- It has also claimed that the building poses a high security risk.
- In January 2011, the Union Ministry of Environment and Forest had issued a demolition order on the ground that the Society did not have Coastal Zone Regulation clearance.
- The building remains unoccupied and is without electricity and water supply