LLM student killed for preaching 'secularism' in Bangladesh
Dhaka: In a shocking incident, a Bangladeshi Master of Law and Legislature (LLM) student was killed by four assailants on Wednesday evening near Jagannath University of Dhaka, where he was studying.
“Nazimuddin Samad had been frequently posting against Islamic fundamentalism on his Facebook page,” said the police.
Samad was continuously posting his secular views on the social media platforms, where he denounced Islamic fundamentalists. He was also connected with a secular campaigning group known as ‘Gonojagoron Moncho’. The student’s attackers allegedly shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ while killing him.
- The 28-year-old student was hacked and shot dead by the unidentified men on a busy street near the varsity.
- It appears to be the latest incident in a wave of killing the secular activists, writers and bloggers in Bangladesh.
- No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet.
- As many as four secular bloggers were killed by religious extremists in Bangladesh in 2015.
- One of the victims, Niloy Chowdhury, was also a member of the same group Samad belonged to.