Top

Uttarakhand glacier burst: 31 bodies recovered, 171 missing; rescue operations underway

In the aftermath of the Uttarakhand glacier burst, 26 bodies have been recovered till now, Uttarakhand DGP Ashok Kumar said on Monday.

Shivani Arora

Shivani AroraBy Shivani Arora

Published on 9 Feb 2021 1:42 AM GMT

Uttarakhand glacier burst: 31 bodies recovered, 171 missing; rescue operations underway
X
Uttarakhand glacier burst: 26 bodies recovered, 171 missing; rescue operations underway
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print

A glacial break in the Tapovan-Reni area of Chamoli District of Uttarakhand on Sunday led to massive flooding in Dhauli Ganga and Alaknanda Rivers, damaging houses and the nearby Rishiganga power project.

In the aftermath of the Uttarakhand glacier burst, 31 bodies have been recovered till now, Uttarakhand DGP Ashok Kumar said on Monday. As of 8 pm Monday, 171 people still remain missing out of which around 35 are supposed to be in the tunnel where rescue operations are underway.

Rescue Operation Underway:

A multi-agency rescue operation including — Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF). Both is in full swing to release people still stuck in the tunnels. The forces have cleared 90 meter stretch of debris in the big tunnel at Tapovan till now. In addition, with about 100 meters of clearing still left to do.

26 bodies recovered so far, says Uttarakhand Police

So far, bodies of 26 people have been recovered from different places, the Uttarakhand Police informed in a latest update.

In a tweet, DGP, Uttarakhand, IPS Ashok Kumar said 26 bodies have been recoved from the Tapovan tunnel till 8 pm today. He added that 171 people still remain missing out of which around 35 are supposed to be in the tunnel where rescue operations are underway.

https://twitter.com/Ashokkumarips/status/1358787074678087683

Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat

To take stock of the situation, Rawat visited Chamoli district and said that saving lives was their first priority. Speaking to media persons, Rawat said that they would be successful in clearing the entire debris stretch by today evening.

ALSO READ: Uttarakhand Glacier Burst: Over 150 missing, 10 bodies recovered

Yesterday, Rawat announced Rs 4 lakh financial assistance each for the families of those killed in the mishap.

ALSO READ: Maharashtra to probe if Indian celebs tweeted over farm laws ‘under pressure’

Stay tuned with the newstrack to get fastest updates. Click @englishnewstrack to follow us on Facebook and @newstrackmedia to follow on Twitter.

Shivani Arora

Shivani Arora

Next Story