Sonia, Rahul and Manmohan courted arrest during protest march
New Delhi: In a rather unexpected political move, the All India Congress Committee (AICC) president Sonia Gandhi along with Rahul Gandhi and former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh courted arrest on Friday during the ‘Loktantra Bachao Rally’ at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi.
The top Congress leaders along with thousands of Congress workers had brought out the rally which started from Jantar Mantar and was scheduled to reach the Parliament building in protest against the Modi government for what they called blatant attack on the democracy.
The Parliament street police disallowed them to proceed towards parliament building prompting Sonia, Rahul and Dr Manmohan Singh to offer arrest. They were subsequently arrested but later released.
“How can they deny us permission to hold a peaceful rally? We were marching towards Parliament in a peaceful manner,” Congress leader Sandeep Dikshit said.
The police was on its toes to ensure security of Sonia and Rahul , both being SPG protectees.
It may be recalled that the Congress was under sever attack from the opposition in an outside the Parliament over allegations of corrupt practices in Augusta Westland helicopter deal.
What Sonia said:
- Life has taught me struggle. They do not know what we are made of.
- We are the people who have our blood and laid down their lives to protect the basic principles of humanity.
- We have faced a lot of challenges.
What Manmohan said:
- The Central government has attacked democracy by destabilising Congress governments in Uttarakhand and Arunachal Pradesh.
- PM Modi has attacked democracy. Now, they are eyeing other Congress governments.
- Congress will not divert from its path, no matter how may allegations they level up against the party
What Rahul Said:
"Pradhan Mantri Ji ne 'acche din' ka wayda kiya tha, lekin sarkarr banne ka baad wo sab bhool gaye," Rahul said in the rally.
- The Centre is doing nothing over the suicide of farmers.
- More than 50 farmers are taking the extreme step everyday.
- The government has no time for farmers.
- They are violating the law by imposing President’s rule in Arunanchal and Uttarakhand.
To read the news in Hindi, click here: लोकतंत्र बचाओ रैलीः सोनिया-राहुल-मनमोहन सिंह गिरफ्तार, फिर रिहा