ATMs to work properly from November 15, says DEA secretary
New Delhi: Department of Economic Affairs Secretary, Shaktikanta Das said that ATMs will start dispensing higher denominations from Tuesday. While addressing media on Monday, the DEA secretary said that ATM re-calibration has started and some of the ATMs would start dispensing Rs 2000 notes from today or tomorrow along with other denominations. The EA secretary said that large number of micro ATMs would also be deployed.
Das also said,"The government has decided to hike cash holding limits of banking correspondents to Rs 50,000." The DEA secretary further stated that government departments have been advised to use e-payment networks.
What else he said?
- The Centres focus is to activate all channels from where cash can be dispensed.
- The government is strengthening the networks between banks.
- The banks have been directed to provide separate counters for Divyangs and senior citizens.
- Enough cash is available in the system. No need for the public to panic.
- Higher cash withdrawal limit of Rs 2500 is only for re-calibrated ATMs.
- Situation relating to supply and availability of cash was reviewed by PM Modi late last night.
- Supply of cash to 1.3 lakh post office branches will be enhanced.