VIDEO: PM Modi inaugurates SAUNI Yojna in Jamnagar
Launched by PM Modi, the then Chief Minister of Gujarat, in September 2012, the SAUNI project aims at diverting the floodwater from Sardar Sarovar Dam to several dams of the water scarce Saurasthra region through a network of canal and pipelines
Jamnagar: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday inaugurated the first phase of Saurashtra Narmada Avataran for Irrigation (SAUNI) project in Jamnagar district of Gujarat.
The scheme will truly benefit the people of Gujarat, the PM tweeted on Tuesday before leaving for the city.
What is SAUNI Yojna:
Launched by PM Modi, the then Chief Minister of Gujarat, in September 2012, the project aims at diverting the floodwater from Sardar Sarovar Dam to several dams of the water scarce Saurasthra region through a network of canal and pipelines.
This project will aim at providing help with irrigation of 4.13 lakh hectares land in draught prone Saurashtra.
What PM Modi said:
- The PM of India said that whatever he had learnt, during his tenure as CM of Gujarat, helped him alot when he went to Delhi.
- The PM while addressing people said, "When I took oath as CM, I would tell farmers that what is most important for you is water."
- "The water table of Gujarat which was falling began to rise, after I was appointed as the CM. Check dams were built in large numbers," stated Modi.
- Few people did not like what I said then, they disagreed with me but I remained firm on my stand that water is of prime importance, said PM Modi in Jamnagar.
- Appreciating the development in the state, he stated, "Gujarat has adopted the Mantra of Vikas. This Mantra is going to transform the state."
- We brought a crop insurance scheme that will help the farmer, said PM Modi.