Navjot Singh Sidhu joins Congress; meets Rahul Gandhi
New Delhi: Ahead of the Punjab assembly elections, Cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu on Sunday formally joined the Congress party. He had a meeting with party vice-president Rahul Gandhi.
The 53-year old politician had left Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in September 2016 putting some strong allegations on the party.
What Navjot Singh Sidhu had alleged at his departure from BJP?
- I resigned from the Rajya Sabha because I was told to not turn towards Punjab and stay away from Punjab.
- Why should I stay away from Punjab and on whose wishes?
- How could I ignore my roots and betray my homeland?
- Should I stay away from Punjab just to cater to personal interests of some people?
- This was for the third or fourth time when I was being told to stay away from Punjab.
Earlier, there were speculations regarding Sidhu joining Arvind Kejriwal led Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).