Indian navy's all women crew leaves for Mauritius
New Delhi: All women crew of the Indian Navy sailed from Goa to Mauritius on board vessel Mhadei in their first open ocean voyage on Tuesday.
Skippered by Lt Cdr Vartika Joshi ( a naval Constructor),the crew of Mhadei are currently training to undertake a circumnavigation of the globe next year.
- The crew includes Lt P Swathi, Lt B Aishwarya, Lt Pratibha Jamwal, Lt Vijaya and Lt Payal Gupta.
- This arduous voyage will undergo through rough seas.
- Heavy weather are expected during the monsoons in the Arabian Sea.
According to Navy statement,"This is a training voyage to expose the young crew to weather that will be faced by them during the circumnavigation in 2017".
- All women officers are keen sailors who took to sports after joining Navy.
- The officers have undergone theoretical training in navigation, communication, meteorology and seamanship at the Navy's training schools in Kochi.
- Since then, the officers have been training under Cdr Dilip Donde, India's first circumnavigator, who undertook his voyage on the same boat in 2008-09.
- The yet-to-be-named boat is expected to be delivered to the Navy by February next year.
- At Goa, The Navy is in the process of setting up an Ocean Sailing node to promote ocean sailing and a spirit of adventure amongst young naval officers and sailors.
- Mhadei and her sister vessel would be based at this node in Goa.
- Officials said that the exploits of this all-women crew on board Mhadei, along with accounts of their voyage and photographs, can be followed on the Facebook page.