IIT Bhubneshwar introduces Odissi dance form in its curriculum
Bhubneshwar: The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bhubneshwar has introduced Odissi dance as a BTech subject.
The engineering college became the first IIT to introduce any dance form in its curriculum.
What authorities said:
- Director Rajakumar explains the reason behind introduction of such a subject, saying,"dance can broaden horizons of students studying specialised course."
- "The classical dance form has been introduced as a breadth course of maximum 12 credits during the 12 four year BTech studies. This will involve weekly five hours of classes." told the Director.
- IIT dean academic affairs N C Sahoo said that Odissi experts have been hired to design the curriculum of the course.
- First Year: In the first year students can learn Odissi as an extra academic activity of one credit from a range including NSS, NCC, Yoga, badminton, volleyball and cricket.
- Whichever of these they choose, they have to clear it to earn the BTech degree.
- Second and Third Year: Each of the second and the third semesters will have three credits, which will be mandatory to be cleared to clear the course.
- the students can opt Odissi as an elective "breadth course" from among a range of subjects such Odissi, financial management, international relations and entrepreneurship.
- Last Year: The students can continue with with the dance form as a purely optional subject or opt out of it.
- The director stated that Any student learning the dance form in the final year would get a diploma in dance as well.
- The Dean told that the Odissi study would include classroom teaching, activities while the exams would include written tests as well as demonstration of techniques.