Delhi govt's 'ignoring poor patients' allegations wrong: MAX
New Delhi: Refuting the Delhi government's allegations, Max Super Speciality Hospital in Saket, on Sunday, said that it had treated thousands of economically week patients since its inception.
Delhi's ruling AAP government has imposed a fine of Rs 600 crore on five hospitals - Max Super Speciality, Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Shanti Mukand Hospital, Dharamshila Cancer Hospital, and Pushpawati Singhania Research Institute for denying treatment to patients falling under Economically Weaker Section (EWS).
Government has asked the hospitals to pay the amount by July 9, failing which further action will be initiated against them.
- We treat thousands of Economically Weaker Section (EWS) patients every year
- We are extremely serious towards fulfilling the obligations
- Delhi government's order was unfair to it
Why government imposed fine?
- These five hospitals were provided lands at concessional rates
- The lands were alloted between 1960 and 1990
- The condition behind giving them land on concessional rates was that they will treat the poor free of cost
Delhi High Court 2007 order
- A Public Interest Litigation (PIL) was filed in the Delhi HC in 2007 seeking implementation of the provision of free treatment to poor
- Fine on all the five hospitals have been imposed under the Delhi HC's ruling