TRENDING TAGS :
Cyclone Biparjoy: ‘Very severe’ storm to intensify further; IMD issues heavy rain alert for these 7 states
The 'very severe' cyclonic storm Biparjoy is predicted to strengthen in the next 24 hours and move in a north-northeast direction, according to the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
The 'very severe' cyclonic storm Biparjoy is predicted to strengthen in the next 24 hours and move in a north-northeast direction, according to the India Meteorological Department (IMD). The weather office has issued an alert for heavy rainfall in Kerala and Coastal Karnataka during the next 3 days and over Lakshadweep during next 2 days.Kerala issued yellow alert for Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Pathanamthitta, Alappuzha, Kottayam, Idukki, Kozhikode, and Kannur. Meanwhile, fishermen in Kerala and Karnataka have been advised not to venture out.
"Very severe cyclonic storm Biparjoy at 2330 hrs IST of 9th June over east-central Arabian Sea near lat 16.0N & long 67.4E. Likely to intensify further & move north-northeastwards during the next 24hrs," IMD said in a tweet.
In anticipation of Cyclone Biparjoy, high waves have been observed at Tithal Beach in Valsad on the Arabian Sea coast. As a precautionary measure, Tithal Beach has been closed to tourists until June 14.
"We told the fishermen not to venture into the sea and they all have come back. People will be shifted to the village at the seashore if needed. Shelters have been made for them. We have closed Tithal Beach for tourists till June 14," Tehsildar TC Patel, Valsad.
Check full forecast here:
- Light/moderate scattered to fairly widespread rainfall with thunderstorm/lightning/gusty winds very likely over the south Indian states during next 5 days.
- Heavy rainfall is very likely at isolated places over Kerala and Coastal Karnataka during next 3 days and over Lakshadweep during next 2 days.
- Light/moderate scattered to fairly widespread rainfall with thunderstorm/lightning very likely over North East India during next 5 days.
- Very Heavy rainfall very likely at isolated places over Manipur, Mizoram & Tripura on 09th June and Assam & Meghalaya on 12th & 13th June. Isolated heavy rainfall over Arunachal Pradesh and Assam & Meghalaya during next 5 days and over Manipur & Mizoram on 10th & 12th June.
- Very Heavy rainfall likely at isolated places over Sub-Himalayan West Bengal & Sikkim during 11th-13th June.
- Isolated heavy rainfall over Andaman & Nicobar islands during 09th-11th June, over Sub-Himalayan West Bengal & Sikkim on 09th & 10th June.