Udta Punjab Row: Aamir Khan raises voice against CBFC
Mumbai: Bollywood’s Mr. Perfectionist Aamir Khan backed the Anurag Kashyap co-produced film Udta Punjab as he said that demanding cuts reflect the grey side of the Censor Board.
Addressing mediapersons during an event, Aamir said that the film covers a social issue which talks about the drug addiction among Punjab youths and there were no cuts required in the film.
Over several cuts asked by the CBFC, Aamir said, “It's very important that filmmakers have a voice which is not throttled. In any society, the voice of the artiste should be free to speak what he wants to speak."
Directed by Abhishek Choubey, Udta Punjab is made on the sensitive issue of drug abuse among the youths. Things turned worse after CBFC asked the makers for over 80 cuts in the film including the change in the title.
On Wednesday, the Indian Film and Television Directors Association (IFTDA) held a press conference where they slammed the CBFC Chief Pahlaj Nihalani. Filmmakers also sought an apology from him for accusing Kashyap of taking money from Delhi’s ruling Aam Aadmi Party for making the film.
Shahid Kapoor, Alia Bhatt, Kareena Kapoor and Diljit Dosanjh starrer film, Udta Punjab is slated for June 17 release.
- Australia PM Scott Morrison loses national elections, labor party to take power
- Centre cuts excise duty on petrol by ₹8 per litre, diesel by ₹6: Sitharaman
- MI vs DC IPL 2022 Predicted XI: Arjun Tendulkar to make debut in Mumbai Indians' final match?
- Ramban tunnel collapse: Five bodies found so far, five labourers still missing
- Russia says destroyed Western weapons shipped to Ukraine
- Indian Army Recruitment 2022: Various vacancies released at joinindianarmy.nic.in, check details
- No global grain shortage, says India, defends curbs on wheat export
- No heatwave likely next week in Delhi, parts of north India: Top 10 updates
- Laal Singh Chaddha: Aamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan starrer trailer to be unveiled on IPL 2022 Finale
- Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2: Kartik Aaryan, Kiara Advani's film releases, see review, BO prediction & more