Rupee surges 11 paise to 74.77 against US dollar in early trade
The rupee surged 11 paise to 74.77 against the US dollar in opening trade on Tuesday tracking positive domestic equities and weak American currency.
Mumbai: The rupee surged 11 paise to 74.77 against the US dollar in opening trade on Tuesday tracking positive domestic equities and weak American currency.
At the interbank forex market, the domestic unit opened at 74.78 against the US dollar, gained further ground and touched 74.77 against the US dollar, registering a gain of 11 paise over its previous close.
It had settled at 74.88 against the US dollar on Monday.
Forex traders said positive trend in the equity markets, weak American currency and sustained foreign fund inflows supported the rupee, while concerns over rising COVID-19 cases weighed on investor sentiment.
The dollar index, which gauges the greenback's strength against a basket of six currencies, fell 0.23 per cent to 92.63.
On the domestic equity market front, the 30-share BSE benchmark Sensex was trading 212.20 points higher at 38,262.98, and the broader NSE Nifty advanced 72.55 points to 11,319.65.
Foreign institutional investors were net buyers in the capital market as they purchased shares worth Rs 332.90 crore on Monday, according to exchange data.
Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, fell 0.31 per cent to USD 45.23 per barrel.
- Monkeypox virus disease outbreak: New cases 'only tip of iceberg' but no urgent need for mass vaccinations, says WHO
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah actress Disha Vakani aka Daya ben blessed with a baby boy
- Don't make them dirty: Kejriwal's appeal as he flags off 150 e-buses for Delhi
- 'Tears in my eyes': Kejriwal lauds Punjab CM for sacking 'corrupt' minister
- Traders protest against removal of encroachment near Shri Krishna Janmabhoomi in Mathura
- Amidst pressure from China, Quad leaders meeting in Tokyo; America, Japan, Australia and India are participating
- Rules bar worship at 'non-living places', says govt over namaz at Qutub Minar
- Sensex opens 88 points above in early deals, trades at 54,376; Nifty above 16,240-mark
- Box Office: Yash starrer KGF 2 breaks existing records of Kannada films in Canada
- Meet the Top Teachers of the World: Super 30's Anand Kumar and Mathematics Guru RK Srivastava