Rupee slides 65 paise against USD to 73.99 on growth concerns
The rupee plunged 65 paise to 73.99 against the US currency in opening trade on Friday amid continued forex outflows following weak global growth concerns.
Mumbai- The rupee plunged 65 paise to 73.99 against the US currency in opening trade on Friday amid continued forex outflows following weak global growth concerns.
Stocks plummeting 3 per cent in early session also hit the domestic currency. Investor sentiment took a hit due to deep losses in global equities on coronavirus fears. RBI's decision to place Yes Bank under a moratorium and took over its board also weighed on market mood.
The rupee had closed with gains of 6 paise at 73.33 against the dollar on Thursday. Continued forex outflows from capital markets with investors cutting down riskier bets hit the Indian currency, traders said.
Foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) sold equities worth Rs 2,476.75 crore on net basis on Thursday, market data showed. The dollar index also dropped 0.25 per cent in spot markets after US President Donald Trump said coronavirus outbreak could hit the growth.
Oil prices were down 1.06 per cent; while gold, a safe haven bet, was headed for its best weekly gains in global markets.
- Monkeypox virus disease outbreak: New cases 'only tip of iceberg' but no urgent need for mass vaccinations, says WHO
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah actress Disha Vakani aka Daya ben blessed with a baby boy
- Don't make them dirty: Kejriwal's appeal as he flags off 150 e-buses for Delhi
- 'Tears in my eyes': Kejriwal lauds Punjab CM for sacking 'corrupt' minister
- Traders protest against removal of encroachment near Shri Krishna Janmabhoomi in Mathura
- Amidst pressure from China, Quad leaders meeting in Tokyo; America, Japan, Australia and India are participating
- Rules bar worship at 'non-living places', says govt over namaz at Qutub Minar
- Sensex opens 88 points above in early deals, trades at 54,376; Nifty above 16,240-mark
- Box Office: Yash starrer KGF 2 breaks existing records of Kannada films in Canada
- Meet the Top Teachers of the World: Super 30's Anand Kumar and Mathematics Guru RK Srivastava