Rupee sees high volatility; rises marginally to 73.46/USD in early trade
The rupee witnessed high volatility in opening session on Friday amid heavy selling in domestic equities and a rebound in the American currency.
Mumbai: The rupee witnessed high volatility in opening session on Friday amid heavy selling in domestic equities and a rebound in the American currency.
At the interbank forex market, the domestic unit opened on a strong note at 73.38 against the US dollar, then gained further to quote at 73.35.
The local unit, however, pared the initial gains and was trading at 73.46, up by just 1 paisa over its previous close.
On Thursday, the rupee slumped 44 paise to close at 73.47 against the US dollar as rise in demand for the American currency from oil importers weighed on currency market sentiment.
Forex traders said heavy selling in domestic equity markets and a rebound in American currency weighed on the rupee.
The dollar index, which gauges the greenback's strength against a basket of six currencies, rose 0.04 per cent to 92.77.
On the domestic equity market front, the 30-share BSE benchmark Sensex was trading 464.61 points lower at 38,526.33, and the broader NSE Nifty fell 130.30 points to 11,397.15.
Foreign institutional investors were net buyers in the capital market as they purchased shares worth Rs 7.72 crore on Thursday, according to exchange data.
Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, fell 0.93 per cent to USD 43.66 per barrel.
- Monkeypox virus disease outbreak: New cases 'only tip of iceberg' but no urgent need for mass vaccinations, says WHO
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah actress Disha Vakani aka Daya ben blessed with a baby boy
- Don't make them dirty: Kejriwal's appeal as he flags off 150 e-buses for Delhi
- 'Tears in my eyes': Kejriwal lauds Punjab CM for sacking 'corrupt' minister
- Traders protest against removal of encroachment near Shri Krishna Janmabhoomi in Mathura
- Amidst pressure from China, Quad leaders meeting in Tokyo; America, Japan, Australia and India are participating
- Rules bar worship at 'non-living places', says govt over namaz at Qutub Minar
- Sensex opens 88 points above in early deals, trades at 54,376; Nifty above 16,240-mark
- Box Office: Yash starrer KGF 2 breaks existing records of Kannada films in Canada
- Meet the Top Teachers of the World: Super 30's Anand Kumar and Mathematics Guru RK Srivastava