Rupee rises 6 paise to 75.60 against US dollar in early trade
The rupee appreciated 6 paise to 75.60 against the US dollar in early trade on Wednesday tracking positive opening of domestic equities.
Mumbai: The rupee appreciated 6 paise to 75.60 against the US dollar in early trade on Wednesday tracking positive opening of domestic equities.
Forex traders said a positive start of domestic stocks supported the local unit, while sustained foreign fund outflows and concerns over coronavirus pandemic weighed on the local unit.
At the interbank foreign exchange, the rupee opened at 75.60, registering a rise of 6 paise over its previous close.
On Tuesday, the rupee had settled at 75.66 against the US dollar.
Domestic bourses were trading on a positive note with the benchmark Sensex trading 281.53 points higher at 30,477.70 and broader Nifty rising 87.20 points to 8,966.30.
Meanwhile, the dollar index, which gauges the greenback's strength against a basket of six currencies, was trading 0.09 per cent higher at 99.46.
Traders said investor sentiment remained fragile amid concerns over the impact of coronavirus outbreak on the domestic as well as global economy.
Globally, over 48.97 lakh people have been infected by the virus and over 3.23 lakh have died.
In India, the death toll due to COVID-19 rose to 3,303 and the number of cases climbed to 1.06 lakh, according to the health ministry.
Meanwhile, foreign institutional investors were net sellers in the capital market as they sold equity shares worth Rs 1,328.31 crore on Tuesday, according to provisional exchange data.
Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, rose 0.81 per cent to USD 34.93 per barrel.
- PM Narendra Modi delighted about India's participation at Cannes Film Festival 2022; Calls it a 'milestone'
- GUDS eWHEELERS in Lucknow is set to Revolutionize Personal Mobility with India's first eWheelers Smart Mobility Hub
- '265 Ukrainian soldiers surrendered at Azovstal'
- Gyanvapi mosque case: Varanasi court removes commissioner
- Gyanvapi live: Seal area where 'Shivling' found but prayers shouldn't be hindered, says SC
- Bada Mangal 2022: Story of Bade Mangal in Lucknow, what is its relation to Hanuman; All you need to know
- Baghpat News: Rakesh Tikait breaks silence; blames BJP for rift in BKU
- As deadline ends, Gyanvapi survey official to seek more time from UP court
- Covid-19 fourth wave: India reports 1,569 fresh cases, 19 deaths in past 24 hours
- Gyanvapi Mosque Row: Asaduddin Owaisi opposes survey, says 'lost Babri Masjid, don't want to lose another'