All you want to know about the 8th continent - Zealandia
Sydney: World might get a brand new continent in form of a large stretch of landmass to be named as Zealandia, which is mostly under the water in the southwest Pacific ocean.
Geologists say that it has all the distinct features to qualify as the 8th continent.
More about Zealandia:
- It is around five million sq km in size, almost the size of an Indian subcontinent.
- Whereabouts of Zealandia was revealed in a journal published in the Geological Society of America's Journal.
- 94 per cent of the land has been submerged under water.
- New Zealand's North and South Islands, and New Caledonia are actually parts of Zealandia.
- If approved, Zealandia will join the crew of continents Asia, Europe, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, and Australia.