A glittering ceremony marks the beginning of Rio Olympics 2016
Rio de Janeiro: The iconic Macarana stadium in Rio was witness to another historic event as the
the 31st Olympics opened with a resplendent ceremony laced with samba beats and dazzling fireworks.
Some spell-bounding performances and a customary parade by 207 country-contingents including debutants Kosovo and South Sudan,followed by their respective flag-bearers marked beginning of 16-day mega sporting even- the Rio Olympics.
- The venue was the historic stadium of Macarana where 2014 soccer Wolrd Cup nfinal was played.
- The stadium has capacity of more than seventy five thousand persons.
- Sambista Paulinho da Viola sang the Brazilian national anthem 'Hino Nacional Brasileiro'.
- Brazil’s brief history, from slave trade to the invention of first aeroplane, was depicted through a beautiful piece or performance.
- The event witnessed a beautiful rendition of the late Tom Jobim;s legendary 'The Girl fromxxc Ipanema' by his grandson Daniel alongside supermodel and national icon Gisele Bundchen.
- Legendary samba singer Elza Soares hip-hop proponents Karol Conka and 12-year- old M.C. Soffia. also performed at the gala ceremony.
- twenty one year-old sensation Ludmilla renderedthe 'Rap da Felicidade' (Happiness Rap).
- Thirteen year-old Cristian do Passinho displayed nimble footwork in 'Passinho' , the latest Riodance craze.
- The Parade of the participating contingents representing their Nations lured limelight.
- The Indian contingent was led by Olympian Gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra.