Pak army Chief appoints new ISI Chief in major military reshuffle
In a major reshuffle Pakistan's new army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa removed the head of the countries spy agency Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) Lt. General Rizwan Akhtar on Monday and made several other significant changes in the army.
Islamabad: In a major reshuffle Pakistan's new army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa removed the head of the country's spy agency Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) Lt. General Rizwan Akhtar on Monday and made several other significant changes in the army.
General Bajwa appointed Lt. General Naveed Muktar as director general of the ISI and Lt. General Akhtar was appointed the President of the National Defence University (NDU), the army said in a statement.
- The newly-promoted Lt Gen Bilal Akbar has been appointed as the Chief of General Staff.
- Current President of NDU Lt Gen Nazir Butt was appointed as Corps Commander of Peshawar (11Corps).
- Current Corps Commander of Peshawar (11Corps) Lt Gen Hidayat-ur-Rehman was appointed as the Inspector-General Training and Evaluation (IGT&E) at General Headquarters (GHQ).
- Lt Gen Asim Salim Bajwa, presently heading army's media wing, has been appointed as the Inspector-General Arms (IG Arms) at GHQ.
- Lt Gen Sher Afgun has been posted 31 Corps Commander which is based in Bahawalpur near the Indian border.
The new army chief, however, did not announce the names of upcoming heads of ISPR and Rangers in Sindh. According to the officials, The decision would be taken on the matter after the Army Chief consults it with the political leadership as they are 'politically sensitive appointments'.
It may be recalled that Gen Bajwa took over from Gen Raheel Sharif, as the Pakistan Army Chief, two weeks ago.