Chinese official allays fears over India-China economic ties

Sakshi Chaturvedi

Sakshi ChaturvediBy Sakshi Chaturvedi

Published on 11 July 2017 4:16 AM GMT

Chinese official allays fears over India-China economic ties
X
Chinese official allays fears over India-China economic ties
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo

New Delhi: Amid the current border standoff in the Sikkim sector of the India-China border, a top Chinese official has allayed fears of India-China economic ties being affected.

"Both India and China enjoy long cooperation as our lands are connected," Li Rongrong, Second Secretary in the Economic and Commercial Counsellor's Office of the Chinese Embassy in India said on Monday at a promotion conference of the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road International Expo. It is to be held in the city of Dongguan in the Chinese province of Guangdong from September 21 to 24.

Li said that Chinese investments in India rose from $219 crore in 2000 to $7,000 crore in 2016.

Last year, Li said that foreign direct investment from China to India was over $100 crore.

ALSO READ: Wimbledon: Rafael Nadal knocked out by Gilles Muller in five-set epic

She also referred to the On Belt One Road (OBOR) initiative of Chinese President Xi Jinping and said it resonated with India's major infrastructure projects like the East-West Corridor and the Indian Railways' Diamond Quadrilateral.

The India-China Economic and Cultural Council (ICEC) signed a deal with the Dongguan municipal government for the expo during the event.

Chen Qingsong, Deputy Secretary-General of the Dongguan municipal government, said that 104 Indian companies attended the exposition last year and invited more Indian exhibitors to this year's event.

Mohammad Sadiq, Secretary-General of the ICEC, said that the current border standoff was an issue that would pass off quickly.

He assured that despite an advisory issued by the Chinese Embassy in New Delhi, all Chinese businesspersons in India were safe as before.

Indian and Chinese forces are in a standoff position in the Doklam area of Bhutan where a large construction contingent of China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) entered on June 16 to apparently build a road there.

Both India and Bhutan have said that China was trying to unilaterally change a status quo that has been maintained at the Bhutan-China-India trijunction.

ALSO READ: US soldier arrested for supporting Islamic State

IANS

Sakshi Chaturvedi

Sakshi Chaturvedi

A journalist, presently working as a Sub-Editor at newstrack.com.

Next Story