Ten year imprisonment ordered in a dowry death case
Gautam Buddha Nagar: The Gautam Buddha Nagar district court has awarded a 10 year imprisonment to Manoj Mandal in a dowry death case, senior Prosecution Officer told media persons here on Tuesday.
Details of the case:
- According to DSR Tripathi, Manoj has been booked under IPC sction 304A(causing death by negligence), 498A (Husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty) and the Dowry Prohibition act.
- Jail term will run concurrently.
- Monoj Mandal, a driver by profession on November 14, 2011 alleged that his wife Arti Devi committed suicide by hanging herself from a ceiling fan at their resident in Chotpur colony. He claimed that he was at his office when he got a call that his wife had attempted Suicide.
- According to postmortem reports, the cause of death was due to suffocation caused by hanging.
- Deceased mother, On November 20, filed a complaint against Mandal in Sitamarhi area in Bihar and said that as per Hindu rituals she married her daughter Arti to Mandal in 2011.
- The dowry was also given .
- Mandal was not happy with the dowry and demanded motorcycle, amount of Rs 50,000 and a gold chain.
- When the dowry demand was not fulfilled , Mandal physically and mentally tortured Arti.
On August 8, 2014 charges under the dowry act was framed against Mandal, who could not prove himself innocent and failed to provide evidence that he was outside the house at the time of the death of his wife.