Khap Panchayat stresses for police action in rape cases
Bagpat: The Khap Panchayat of western Uttar Pradesh,which usually remains in the news for its outrageous dictats, has now advocated for police action in rape cases.
Khap Chaudharis on Saturday said that ordering for a punishment like beating the rape accused five time with a shoe was improper. It described it as a conspiracy fabricated by Goonda elements to malign the image of Khap Panchayat.
- Called a meeting in Baraut of Bagpat in Uttar Pradesh on Saturday.
- Expressed dissatisfaction against such punishment.
- Police should take strict against in rape cases, said Khap Chaudhary Albel Singh.
What Khap Chaudhary said:
- Such punishments are maligning the image of panchayats, said Mahak Singh of Kishanpur Baral.
- Panchayts are not above law, said Yashpal Singh.
- Panchayat should announce punishment watching the sensitivity of matter.
Why the meeting was called:
- Few days back a khap panchayat ordered a punishment of beating an accused of dowry murder ten times with a shoe.
- Khap Panchayat ordered to leave an accused of eve-teasing after beating him five times with a shoe.