UP govt misleads court in appointing Lokayukta : Supreme Court
The Apex court hearing the case kept its decision reserved till Friday next. The court said that only SC would appoint next Lokayukta in case it withdrew the name of Justice (retd) Virendra Singh.
What court said:
- Why a consensus was not made on any single name since last 20 months by the selection committee.
- Asked petitioner Sacchidanand Gupta what he had to do with the appointment of
Uttar Pradesh’s Advocate General Vijay Bahadur Singh is arguing on behalf of UP government.
How Justice (Retd) Ravindra Singh was appointed:
- The Supreme Court using its constitutional power appointed Justice(Retd) Virendra Singh as Lokayukta of UP after the deadline fixed by it ended on December 16 last.
- Allahabad High Court’s Chief Justice D Y Chandrachud registered his objection over this appointment by writing a letter to Governor Ram Naik.
- Chief Justice in his letter said that he did not give his nod on the name of Ravindra Singh.
Supreme Court’s stand on this case till now:
- The court expressed its dissatisfaction in this case as UP government Advocate Kapli Sibbal did not attend the hearing on Tuesday last.
- UP government requested for the time till Friday but the court refused and fixed the hearing on Wednesday.