UP assembly summons tv Today representatives in the House
Lucknow: In a landmark resolution passed by Uttar Pradesh assembly on Tuesday, the representatives of tv Today group have been summoned in the House on February 26 in connection with a fake sting operation carried out by 'Aaj Tak' and 'Headlines Today' channels.
Earlier reacting sharply over the functioning of Media, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday said, “Media house have become business house and they do not have any right to play with the life of anyone”.
Who has been summoned?
- tv Today managing editor Supriya Prasad
- Output head Manish Kumar
- SIT head Deepak Sharma
- Managing Editor of Headlines Today, Rahul Kanwar
- Editor and Anchor Punya Prasoon Bajpayi
- Anchor Gaurav Sawant and Padamba Joshi
- Reporter Harish Sharma
Media runs behind the TRP:
- Media now runs after TRP and business instead of working ethically, said Chairman of the seven member committee Satish Nigam.
- They do not realize how it will affect the audience, he said.
- Earlier, the seven-member committee had found Aaj Tak, a national Hindi news channel, guilty of disturbing communal harmony and carrying out a fake sting operation against Cabinet Minister Mohammad Azam Khan in connection with the Muzaffarnagar riots.
- In its report the committee said that the channel did not provide the tapes of sting operation on repeated demands.
- The panel has charged the channel with contempt of the House.
- The 350-page report was presented by the chairman of the committee S K Nigam.
- The sting operation was found to be fake by the committee.
- The sting operation disturbed the communal harmony in UP.
- The seven member committee was headed by Satish K Nigam.
- The committee also included Mohammad Imran, Sangram Yadav, Brijlal Sonkar, Amarpal Sharma, Sudesh Sharma and Bilanval Khan
- The committee has recommended lodging of a case against them under sections 153(A), 296(A), 200, 463,464 and 469 of the Indian Penal Code(IPC).
These are the sections:
- IPC 463- Using fake electronic records
- IPC 464- Making fake documents
- IPC 465- is a section for forgery for purpose of harming reputation
- IPC 469-One can be sentenced for 3 years under this section, if found guilty
- CrPC 200 and 202- Presence of defendants at the time of prosecution